Saturday, March 31, 2007

I am apoplectic in my rage at HarrisConnect and Boston University

at Boston University for this email:

BOSTON UNIVERSITY Publication Office


Account #: YSRxxxxxxx


March 30, 2007


Dear: Mr Joseph Patrick Mondello


Thank you for your recent order and payment.

Your order is now confirmed.

If you have any questions on your order, please contact the Customer Service Department at 1-800-546-6411.

The following pertains to those who ordered a Directory:
We know your directory will be a great resource in career networking and updating you on the latest happenings
of your friends and acquaintances. After the completion of research, editing, proofing and printing of each individual listing, your
directory will be shipped, and is scheduled to reach you by late October 2007.

If not satisfied, you may return your purchase within 30 days of delivery for a full refund of the product price.


Sincerely,


THOMAS TRACEY
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Qty | Date | Description of Ordered Products | Unit Price | TOTAL |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 03/27/07 Boston University Alumni Directory
$ 89.99 $ 89.99


30 Day Money Back Guarantee


Shipping & Handling $ 9.95

Sub Total $ 99.94

Taxes: 8.63% NEW YORK SALES TAX $ 8.62

Amount Paid $ 108.56

Total Due --->> $ 0.00 <<---

Please Direct any correspondence or questions to: Customer Service Department P.O. Box 41135, Norfolk VA 23541 Phone: (800) 546-6411 Email: customerservice@harrisconnect.com Fax: (800) 829-4142 Monday through Thursday - 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST Friday - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST


I at no point expressed any interest in buying this book, and yet I have already paid for it. The email address from whence this comes is not in fact BU but a Harris Connect. Their website says

Harris Connect is the trusted partner of literally thousands of institutions and associations. Founded in 1963 as Bernard C. Harris Publishing Company, Inc., we started out serving the educational community by partnering with institutions to publish their alumni directories. Since then, we have expanded to work with many different types of membership-based associations and companies. Back in the 1990's, we established an Internet Services Division that provides a broad array of Internet solutions to many organizations. We also formed a Data Services Division to help organizations update and use their data.

Harris Connect is so trusted by Boston University that they have billed me for them, trusting in the knowledge that I could not but want their product.
Fellow BUvians, tell me you've been slimed too. They sent me requests for information a few times that I didn't respond to, then they charged me for their book and sent it to me without asking if I wanted it, and they've placed the onus on me to return the book. And they had the gall to charge me New York sales tax.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

BU never stops trying to suck money out of you. I have to look at some of my mailings from BU and see if any of them are this scam. Luckily I haven't sent anything back.

JuieMama said...

I have had the same experience with Harris Connect, only I toss all correspondence from the in the trash. Today I received a past due bill, supposedly from a collection agency threatening to file for a $99.41 collection if I do not pay up immediately. I did not receive a book as you did, all I ever received was regular mail which I did not read. I cannot decide whether to continue to ignore their mail communication or reply. What do you suggest?

Todd Follansbee said...

Harris Connect sent us repeated solicitations using the name of the Principal of our high school, implying his approval and consent. When contacted, he had zero knowledge of this. Harrisconnect claimed it was technical error, and that they are a reputable company. I doubt that BU had anything to do with it.

ChuckB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChuckB said...

I too have received numerous postcards soliciting me to call a number and give personal information about my address and employment. The mailers look very much like they are from my high school, and have a short letter exhorting me to update the school graduate directory and the signatures of school staff members ....With my 20 yr reunion in mind, I called and gave my info, then was subjected to a strong sales pitch to purchase a $100+ hardbound book, a $50+ softbound book, or $30 CD. I almost had to hang up to get the sales rep off the phone...When I realized I'd been had, a closer look at one of the postcards showed Harris Connect, LLC in small vertical print alongside the paper's edge. Very crafty indeed! Now I'm curious to see if they try and bill me too...

Unknown said...

i attended berea college and they use harris connect to make their alumni directory. i recently found out i have to contact the alumni office at Berea College if i don't want my last known personal information to be pubished in the book. if alumni don't contact the college, their personal information will automatically be published. is this legal?

Les said...

An admonition: The next time (or times) you receive a Harris/alumni postcard, pick it up with gloves, put it in a bag, call the F.B.I. local office, and then show it to the local postal inspector. My wife and I did something similar to this years ago and the culprit went to federal prison.