Thursday, August 23, 2007

The other Korean hostage crisis, day 7

All told, being trapped in Korea has been going quite well.
I had dog soup today with my mother-in-law and my wife's aunts. As always, it depends on the quality of the meat, and this was exceptionally good meat in an exceptionally dingy restaurant. The timing for this stranding was quite good, as my father in law is currently in the hospital undergoing surgery for cataracts, so the presence of my wife and me is valuable for everyone.
But it's not all Korean delicacies for me. I also had the worst pizza I've ever had in my life tonight, Pizza Hut's Whole Shrimp Cheese Bite Pizza.
The actual pizza portion of this pile of shrimp, sweet potato mash and dough is pushed into the center so that it comprises no more than half of the actual thing, which I hesitate to call a pizza. Also, the sauce that's supposed to go with this thing costs an extra buck. Pizza Hut Korea is the ultimate in inconvenience. They have an expensive salad bar, but the entire table has to share a single small bowl which they will not replace with a clean one unless you beg. There are myriad other ways in which Pizza Hut Korea makes your dining experience unnecessarily uncomfortable, but this is not a post about all that.
The real news is that Miyoung's uncle's friend's daughter, who works for Asiana Airlines, called today to tell us that she pushed up our reservation from September 13th (an unimaginable 28 days after our intended departure date) to September 4th (a reasonable 19 days). It's less than two weeks away! That means I have to hurry up and get good at my new hobby, dorodango making. A dorodango is a ball of mud meticulously built up, methodically dried out and rubbed to a shine like so.

Mine so far look equally round, but orders of magnitude less shiny. Wish me luck!
But it hasn't all been a mud-ball making waste of time, I also had a chance to write a few blog posts that I've been meaning to get around to, catch up on my movie watching and learn everything there is to know about money markets. Good for me.

No comments: